Middle Eastern inspired sandwich has fresh bold flavors both in the vibrant roasted pepper and creamy eggplant and bean mash. A healthy vegetarian delight for those summer picnics!
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 cup cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sliced roasted red peppers
- Cos Lettuce leaves
- 8 slices foccacia, halved
Heat oven to 400° F. Place the eggplant on 2 rimmed baking sheets and brush with ¼ cup of the oil. Season with the cayenne and ¼ teaspoon salt and bake, turning once, until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool.
Meanwhile, mash the beans, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, the remaining tablespoon of oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper in a small bowl.
Divide the mashed beans, eggplant, red peppers, and romaine leaves among the bread.